Automated Data Plotter
This application dynamically generates many types of graphs. These graphs are derived from processing of various data sources done by the IEM. Please feel free to use these generated graphics in whatever way you wish. Reset App. The IEM Explorer application offers a simplified frontend to some of these autoplots.
Second, select specific chart options::
Plot Description:This chart attempts to display the period between the first and last VTEC enabled watch, warning or advisory issuance by year. For some long term products, like Flood Warnings, this plot does not attempt to show the time domain that those products were valid, only the issuance. The right two plots display the total number of events and the total number of dates with at least one event.
The left plot can be colorized by either coloring the event counts per day or the accumulated "year/season to date" total.
For the purposes of this plot, an event is defined by a single VTEC event identifier usage. For example, a single Tornado Watch covering 10 counties only counts as one event. The simple average is computed over the years excluding the first and last year.
When you split this plot by 1 July, the year shown is for the year of the second half of this period, ie 2020 is 1 Jul 2019 - 30 Jun 2020.
Based on a sampling of recent timings for this application, plot generation time has averaged 4 seconds. Hold on for the plot is generating now!
View Data (as csv) Download as Excel
IEM Daily Features using this plot
The IEM Daily Features found on this website often utilize plots found on this application. Here is a listing of features referencing this plot type.
- 10 Feb 2022: Red Flag Warnings
- 24 Aug 2021: Iowa Heat Advisories
- 15 Mar 2021: Winter Storm Warning Season
- 12 Nov 2020: No Tornado Warnings since July
- 22 May 2019: Late for First Tornado Warning
- 28 Jun 2018: Heat Advisories
- 20 Sep 2016: Not late for Tornado Watch
- 28 Dec 2015: Late for a Tornado Warning
- 25 Nov 2015: Winter Storm Warning
- 11 Nov 2015: First and Last Severe TStorm Warning
- 13 Jul 2015: Heat Advisory
- 17 Apr 2015: First to Last Tornado Warnings
- 08 Apr 2015: Severe Season
- 26 Mar 2010: The first and the last