National Weather Service Text Product
AFOS product AFDBOU
Dates interpreted at 00:00 UTCDisplaying AFOS PIL: AFDBOU
Product Timestamp: 2026-10-26 18:25 UTC
Bulk Download
Bulk Download Help
This bulk download tool provides the NWS text
in a raw form, hopefully directly usable by your processing system.
You can either provide a complete 6-character PIL/AFOS ID or provide
the 3-character base ID (e.g., AFD). The start and end
dates represent 00 UTC for those dates. The Zip format is useful as
the filenames will have the product timestamp, which is useful for
when the product format has ambiguous timestamps.
483 FXUS65 KBOU 261825 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 1225 PM MDT Mon Oct 26 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Areas of fog across the plains tonight through Tuesday morning. - Warming trend and mostly dry for much of upcoming week. - Unsettled weather potentially returning next weekend, but odds favor western and southern Colorado once again. && .UPDATE... Issued at 235 AM MDT Mon Oct 26 2026 A couple of quick updates this morning. First, it's pretty clear this wave is going to give many in the Denver metro more rain than originally promised. Despite an absence of any real upslope flow on the KFTG VAD, we've seen precipitation blossom across the Denver metro and Palmer Divide since midnight. There's been a few public gauges that have already received 0.25" or so since midnight across the far southwestern metro, perhaps enhanced a bit by the northerly surface flow. Most of the precipitation is tied to the strong vort max pivoting almost directly over the area this morning, which guidance has struggled to handle. We bumped up PoPs/QPF quite a bit in the near term to account for this. It wouldn't be surprising to see a couple half inch rainfall totals by the time most folks wake up later this morning. Given the changes in the precipitation and low level moisture fields, it's also likely that stratus will be slower to erode than previously thought. We lowered high temperatures this afternoon by around 5 degrees to account for this, though some recent guidance (e.g., 06z HRRR) barely manages to get anyone into the 50s this afternoon. With the cooler/wetter trend for today, that also leads to a potentially foggy scenario for tonight into Tuesday morning. Will let the day shift take a full look at this but it wouldn't be surprising if we ended up with some dense fog across the northern metro and I-76 corridor. && .DISCUSSION /Through Sunday/... Issued at 1152 PM MDT Sun Oct 25 2026 Current radar imagery shows ongoing light showers across the forecast area as the upper level shortwave tracks across Colorado/Wyoming tonight. Mountain snow and rain showers over the plains will continue through tonight before exiting the region by Monday morning (most precip in Denver should be finished by sunrise, with the northeastern plains still seeing showers in the early morning). In terms of snowfall amounts across the high terrain, forecast looks to remain on track, with the northern mountains receiving generally 1-4" of snow by Monday morning and I-70 Corridor and south receiving T-2". Expect travel impacts across high mountain passes for the morning commute. With low-level moisture still in place, many people will wake up to fog/low clouds in the morning across the Denver metro and plains, with possible impacts to morning commute due to low visibility. However, expect conditions to gradually improve by 9-10 AM with clearing skies in the afternoon. After that, an overall drying trend is expected as the upper level shortwave exits the region. We will still be relatively cool on Monday, given the slow morning warm-up, with highs in the upper 50s to low 60s. Relatively dry and quiet conditions are expected for the forecast area Tuesday and through the end of the week, as more zonal flow aloft returns. An upper level low in the Pacific Northwest is progged to travel east across Idaho and Montana early this week. While it will stay north of Colorado, it will bring increased westerly flow aloft, resulting in breezy conditions across the high terrain Tuesday. Short-range models have been hinting at winds gusting up to 40-50 mph periodically in the morning. In terms of temperatures for the week, ensemble solutions are in good agreement of above-normal temperatures, with highs in the mid-to-high 60s across the plains. High uncertainty remains in the forecast Friday and into the weekend. A weak upper level shortwave will track across the southwestern United States and into the Central United States. However, recent global model runs continue to hint that this disturbance will likely be too far south and east to impact our forecast area. For now, NBM PoPs of 10-20% seem reasonable at this time for the eastern plains on Friday, but wouldn't be surprised if it continues to lower in the coming days. After that, models vary drastically in handling the next upper level low that pushes through by the weekend/ early next week. It will likely be able to tap into tropical moisture as it tracks east into the Central United States, but there is still high uncertainty which areas will receive the && .AVIATION /18Z TAFS through 18Z Tuesday/... Issued at 1215 PM MDT Mon Oct 26 2026 Current GOES-19 satellite imagery shows the stratus deck that affected the sites this morning breaking up with the south metro (KAPA) seeing the most improvements so far. Still, with the saturated ground from the overnight rainfall/mist and low-level moisture, clouds will have a difficult time fully scattering out this afternoon. Therefore, we expect a sct deck around 1500 ft AGL to 3000 ft AGL through mid-afternoon, but some improvements look possible as we get to late in the afternoon. KAPA should have fewer clouds than the other two sites. Winds this afternoon will turn to the east and should remain under 12 kts. Another night of fog is looking increasingly likely (>70%) at KDEN and KBJC with 50/50 odds at KAPA. BUFKIT and model soundings continue to point to saturated low levels with dewpoint depressions at or under 1 degree. A Denver Cyclone is progged to develop to the north of the three sites this evening and move off to the northeast. This would cause a westerly component to the wind at all three sites with light and vrb winds as we get into Tuesday morning. In turn, short-term guidance is in very strong agreement that fog could rapidly develop this evening as early as 6-8z from north to south on the north/west side of the cyclone. The period of highest confidence at KDEN for visibility around 1/2 SM and IFR/LIFR restrictions is from 9z through about 14z. There is a ~30% chance that visibility could even drop as low as 1/4 SM with vv001 causing further restrictions. Generally, the same timing is expected for KBJC with only slightly higher visibility/ceilings than KDEN. At KAPA, winds could be a little more southerly (downslope), which would lower overall chances for impactful fog directly at the terminal. Otherwise, if winds do keep more of a westerly component, fog/low ceilings/lowered visibility are in play there as well. The fog and low ceilings should start to lift by about 15z Tuesday, but sct clouds around 1000 to 2000 ft AGL look to stick around for a few more hours. VFR conditions appear possible by 18-20z Tuesday afternoon as skies clear. Winds turn to the east for Tuesday afternoon before becoming vrb by the evening. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ UPDATE...Hiris DISCUSSION...MAI AVIATION...MV