National Weather Service Text Product
AFOS product AFDBOU
Dates interpreted at 00:00 UTCDisplaying AFOS PIL: AFDBOU
Product Timestamp: 2026-09-25 05:41 UTC
Bulk Download
Bulk Download Help
This bulk download tool provides the NWS text
in a raw form, hopefully directly usable by your processing system.
You can either provide a complete 6-character PIL/AFOS ID or provide
the 3-character base ID (e.g., AFD). The start and end
dates represent 00 UTC for those dates. The Zip format is useful as
the filenames will have the product timestamp, which is useful for
when the product format has ambiguous timestamps.
735 FXUS65 KBOU 250541 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 1141 PM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Patchy to locally dense fog Friday morning, primarily for areas north of I-70 and along and east of I-25. - Another round of showers and isolated storms Friday afternoon and evening. - Drier and warmer this weekend before an upper level trough brings cooler temperatures and potentially our next chances for showers/storms early next week. - Medium chances (40% to 60%) for mountain snow above 11,000ft late Monday into Tuesday. && .DISCUSSION /Through Thursday/... Issued at 1134 PM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 Most of today's precipitation has cleared out of the area, with some small showers still hanging around over the foothills and up in northern Larimer County. Winds are starting to settle in a more east- southeast pattern, and are expected to stay that way overnight, allowing for fog/low stratus to form over the plains and north Denver metro area. We expect the densest fog to be over the Ft. Morgan area and into southern Weld County, with patchy fog extending into the northern Denver metro. Fog/low stratus should dissipate in the morning but mid-level cloud cover should remain into the afternoon. Models are in pretty good agreement on tonight and tomorrow morning's south-southeast flow kicking off a Denver Cyclone by mid- day. Upslope winds from the low-level cyclone coupled with the upper- level shortwave forecast to move through the area in the afternoon should initiate some isolated to scattered showers off the higher terrain, which should then propagate east along the trough axis. How strong these showers become will be dependent on how much cloud cover we retain into the late afternoon, and subsequently how much surface heating we get. If we do end up with an isolated thunderstorm or two, we could see some localized heavy rainfall. Most of the model guidance is in agreement on there being convection over the southern foothills/Palmer Divide and moving over the southern portions of our CWA, which could warrant some minor flooding concerns for the areas that have seen more precipitation over the last couple of days. Should the current HRRR and RAP solutions pan out, we could see more widespread coverage, with showers moving across most of the urban corridor in the late afternoon and into the plains in the evening. Temperatures will warm above normal for the weekend as upper level ridging builds in behind the shortwave from Friday. A dryline is forecast to push east through the area late Friday into Saturday, bringing much lower dewpoints into the area. The drier air and ridging aloft will decrease rain chances and bring warmer temperatures through the weekend (highs in the 80s for much of the plains). The system next week still looks very uncertain. Models continue to jump back and forth between runs with the speed, strength, and positioning of the upper level trough next week. There are a few concerning model runs and ensemble members that bring more substantial rain totals to our area, but there are also a number of ensemble members (~30%) that bring very little rainfall for much of our forecast area. Right now, this system is a potentially high impact, low confidence event, with serious bust potential depending on the track of the upper low. The main thing to watch is how Hurricane Polo gets absorbed into the flow aloft. The runs which have Polo moving a bit more north, with moisture from this tropical system flowing into the area from southwest flow aloft as it moves into the continental U.S., and then have the upper low sitting just southeast of the area with wrap around moisture through the column are the more concerning solutions. Other solutions, keep the moisture associated with this tropical system and the better lift associated with the upper low to our southwest, leaving us with significantly less precip. We know that people are also very invested in the potential for mountain snow next week. Since the rain amounts are highly uncertain, the snow amounts are also highly uncertain. And with the snow we have the added uncertainty of temperatures next week. Model spread is still pretty significant with the 25th to 75th percentiles differing by 8 to 15 degrees for a good portion of the Front Range and plains for Tuesday through Thursday. If we're on the cooler side, SLRs will be higher and snow level could drop a bit lower, giving us some higher snow totals. Right now, the best chances for snow look to be Tuesday morning above 11,000ft, with medium chances (40%-60%) for at least some light snow accumulations. The moral of the story: the forecast for Monday through Thursday will remain highly uncertain until we get closer, and this system is definitely something to keep an eye on. Check back as we get closer for more details about potential snow and rain amounts. && .AVIATION /00Z TAFS through 00Z Saturday/... Issued at 538 PM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 Moist upslope flow brought a few showers around and over the Denver TAF sites this afternoon, while they haven't been heavy rainers, there were a few microbursts in fairly close proximity to KDEN/KAPA. Current radar shows many lingering boundaries reside across the plains at this time, with some nearly stationary showers across Weld County. The PROB30 was kept in place through 3Z this evening to account for shower potential as well as potential wind shifts due to the aforementioned boundaries. Expecting winds to turn to the southeast by around 3Z, turning the greater shower potential towards the north, decreasing shower potential across the TAF sites. With showers expected to develop to the NW of the TAF sites, can't rule out potential for an outflow to slide south across the TAF sites, but will have to monitor as showers develop with the onset of the southeasterly winds. A cyclone is expected to develop Friday morning that brings low confidence in wind direction and fog development in the early morning hours, and as such, will have some impacts on afternoon storm development too. If the airports manage to hold onto a more southerly wind component, fog may manage to stay just outside of the TAF sites, but any northerly winds will advect fog across the airfields. KBJC will have the highest likelihood of fog as there is some consistency amongst guidance that the cyclone will bring northerly winds between 7Z-9Z, with fog moving across the field between 12Z-15Z, but while the low certainty remains, there is enough confidence with the right ingredients in place for VCFG and a TEMPO for a few hours of fog reducing VIS to around 1/2 SM between 11/12Z-15Z across all the TAF sites. Depending on how quickly fog and stratus clear out in the morning may impact afternoon storm development. Guidance does show consistency in stratus breaking up around 15Z-16Z, which does lead to slightly higher confidence in afternoon storms moving across the TAF sites for the later afternoon hours, especially with a shortwave expected to trek across the area in the afternoon. A TEMPO is now in place at all TAF sites, with storms expected to impact KBJC around 21Z before shifting east across KAPA and KDEN shortly thereafter. Expecting some stronger winds than today, with gusts between 35-40 kts possible with passing storms, and CIG dropping as low as ~5,000 feet AGL. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP/AGS AVIATION...9