National Weather Service Text Product
AFOS product AFDBOU
Dates interpreted at 00:00 UTCDisplaying AFOS PIL: AFDBOU
Product Timestamp: 2026-09-24 20:09 UTC
Bulk Download
Bulk Download Help
This bulk download tool provides the NWS text
in a raw form, hopefully directly usable by your processing system.
You can either provide a complete 6-character PIL/AFOS ID or provide
the 3-character base ID (e.g., AFD). The start and end
dates represent 00 UTC for those dates. The Zip format is useful as
the filenames will have the product timestamp, which is useful for
when the product format has ambiguous timestamps.
143 FXUS65 KBOU 242009 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 209 PM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Some showers this evening and overnight, followed by some patchy fog. - One last round of showers/storms likely Friday afternoon. - Drier and warmer this weekend before an upper level trough brings cooler temperatures and potentially our next chances for showers/storms early next week. - Medium chance (30% to 50%) for mountain snow above 10,000ft late Monday into Tuesday. && .DISCUSSION /Through Thursday/... Issued at 124 PM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 It's been a relatively cool and cloudy day across most of our forecast area, though there's been little rain to speak of so far. There have been a few areas of slightly deeper cumulus across the northern mountains and along a weak surface boundary in Weld county which have produce some light showers. A few additional showers could develop along any convergent boundary this afternoon and evening, but otherwise the rest of the afternoon should remain fairly quiet. As we get into the evening hours, a very weak mid-level low is forecast to slide into northwestern Colorado, leading to a brief period of east-southeast upslope developing across the forecast area. Combined with some modest surface convergence and increasing MUCAPE, this should allow for a cluster of showers and thunderstorms to develop over the northern foothills this evening into the early overnight hours. If the HREF/REFS members are to be believed, some locally heavy rainfall would be possible before upslope quickly diminishes after midnight. Moist easterly surface flow overnight should allow for widespread fog and stratus to develop across the plains, with that wrapping into the northern/northwestern half of the Denver metro by early Friday. The overall forecast changes very little tomorrow. The broad/disorganized upper trough will kick out one last weak shortwave on Friday. We should see isolated to scattered showers/thunderstorms develop by midday over the higher elevations, with this activity pushing eastward through the afternoon and evening. Deterministic guidance remains fairly bullish with metro precip chances, though I'd want to see how the overnight fog/stratus plays out before committing to higher PoPs. The exiting upper trough will quickly be replaced by weak ridging across the region by Saturday, leading to a warm and dry weekend. Most statistical guidance warms temperatures into the mid 80s on both Saturday and Sunday, with only enough moisture for some scattered cloud cover across the higher elevations on Sunday. Attention then turns to the potential for a stronger storm system to impact the region by sometime early/mid-week. Guidance generally agrees that a sharp upper trough axis will reach the northern California coastline by Sunday evening, which then drifts into the desert southwest towards the Four Corners region by Tuesday. Forecast confidence quickly decreases during this period, with solutions ranging from a strong cutoff low over Baja California to a positively tilted trough that quickly swings into western Texas, with a few more favorable solutions scattered in between. There are a few interesting tidbits across the past couple model cycles that are worth noting. First, while ensemble mean solutions look favorable for precipitation here, there is a distinct bi- modal distribution in forecast QPF within each respective ensemble system. This would imply that this storm is "boom or bust", with a fairly even split between boom/bust at this point in time. There are also additional complications from the interaction with what would be the future remnants of Hurricane Polo. While the deterministic forecast (NBM) is a fairly reasonable middle ground (i.e., cooler and increasing chances of rain/mountain snow), predictability and forecast confidence will be low for the next several days. && .AVIATION /18Z TAFS through 18Z Friday/... Issued at 1154 AM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 Winds will turn north/northeast as the afternoon continues. Rain showers are possible this afternoon, so PROB030s will start around 22z this afternoon. Isolated showers could linger past evening hours (~4z), so some PROB30s may need extensions depending on convective development. Winds should turn to drainage tonight for KAPA and KBJC, but some uncertainty remains for KDEN tonight as most models favor a southeasterly direction (~150) with some indicating more of a northeast flow. NAM and GFS MOS guidance favors the southerly drainage flow (~170-210). Guidance also shows a cyclone developing tonight, so wind directions could be changed for tonight. Also in play is a TEMPO for fog/low stratus at KDEN and KBJC from ~11-15z. Dewpoint depressions are forecasted to be ~1 or < 1 for KDEN and KBJC, but KAPA is not expected to get this potential. Visibility could drop to as low as 1/2 SM for KDEN and KBJC if the fog comes to fruition. Winds in the morning look to turn variable for KBJC and KAPA while we wait for the lower ceilings to rise (~15z). Northeast flow will settle in the afternoon for KBJC and southeast flow for KAPA. KDEN may remain in a southeast flow. A PROB30 for -TSRA is in place Friday afternoon for Denver, (22z-03z), and will likely be introduced for the other sites in the next TAF amend. A TEMPO was almost used considering a majority of the models are in good agreement for convective development tomorrow, but for now we stuck with the PROB30. Brief decrease in visibilities and gusty winds up to 35mph are possible. After 0z chances drop quickly as the convection shift east, but isolated may chances may linger for a few more hours. .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...Hiris AVIATION...Schnell