National Weather Service Text Product
AFOS product AFDBOU
Dates interpreted at 00:00 UTCDisplaying AFOS PIL: AFDBOU
Product Timestamp: 2026-09-24 05:55 UTC
Bulk Download
Bulk Download Help
This bulk download tool provides the NWS text
in a raw form, hopefully directly usable by your processing system.
You can either provide a complete 6-character PIL/AFOS ID or provide
the 3-character base ID (e.g., AFD). The start and end
dates represent 00 UTC for those dates. The Zip format is useful as
the filenames will have the product timestamp, which is useful for
when the product format has ambiguous timestamps.
836 FXUS65 KBOU 240555 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 1155 PM MDT Wed Sep 23 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Additional rain chances Thursday and Friday (30-70%) and cooler temperatures for Thursday afternoon. - Drier and warmer this weekend before an upper level trough brings cooler temperatures and potentially our next chances for showers/storms early next week. - Medium chance (30% to 50%) for mountain snow above 10,000ft late Monday into Tuesday. && .DISCUSSION /Through Wednesday/... Issued at 1105 PM MDT Wed Sep 23 2026 As of 11:30pm, showers are moving northeast through our far eastern counties. Scattered showers will continue in the eastern plains through much of the overnight period. Rain should generally remain light, with no hazards expected. A surface low is forecast to develop to our southeast on Thursday, turning surface winds more northerly in the morning and easterly by the afternoon. PWs will decrease slightly as the turning of winds no longer allows Gulf moisture to stream into the area at lower levels. However, the more easterly winds will allow for upslope for much of the afternoon and evening on Thursday. Showers and an isolated storm or two are expected to form over the higher terrain, starting in the southern Front Range foothills and Palmer Divide in the mid afternoon. Rain chances will then move into northern mountains and foothills later in the evening and early overnight period as winds turn more southeasterly. PWs will remain around 140% to 190% of normal and storm motions will be pretty slow (10 to 15kts), so some localized heavy rainfall and flash flooding will be possible in the late afternoon and evening. On Friday, a shortwave will approach the area providing some upper level lift and scattered showers and storms. PWs will remain high (around 150% to 175% of normal), but storm motions are forecast to be faster than Thursday, leading to slightly lower flash flooding concerns. Models have rain chances increasing in the higher terrain for the early afternoon, with the rain chances pushing east throughout the afternoon and early evening. The shortwave will move off to the east early Saturday, with upper level ridging building on the backside of the shortwave for the weekend. At the surface, a boundary looks to move through early Saturday, turning winds more westerly. These winds will bring drier and warmer downsloping air into the urban corridor and plains, dropping PWs and increasing highs back above normal for the weekend. Rain chances will decrease significantly behind this boundary and highs will reach into the low to mid 80s for much of the plains. Things start to get more interesting for the start of next week as a trough approaches the area. There is still a lot of uncertainty with this system, as some models have the trough digging south, with a low developing near the Four Corners region. While other models keep the trough more north, before it digs further south to our east. The positioning and strength of the trough will have significant impacts on the strength and timing of a cold front, our precip chances, and temperatures for Monday through Wednesday. Right now, models are showing a decent cold front moving through the area sometime late Monday through early Tuesday. The positioning of that trough will determine if we can pull those colder temperatures aloft south behind the front. This has lead to a pretty significant spread in temperatures between ensemble members, with highs on Tuesday ranging anywhere from the low 50s to near 70 (25th to 75th percentiles) for the plains. The temperatures will have impacts on the snow chances in the higher terrain as well. Areas above 10,000ft are currently sitting at a 20% to 40% chance for at least an inch of snow from late Monday through late Tuesday. If we can get those colder temperatures and better lift in our area, we could see those chances increase as we get closer. && .AVIATION /06Z TAFS through 06Z Friday/... Issued at 1153 PM MDT Wed Sep 23 2026 Rain showers have affected all three sites this evening with some rain showers still lingering south of KAPA at this hour. Expecting the bulk of any shower activity to stay near the Palmer Divide overnight. There is good model agreement of a push of monsoonal moisture between 9z and 12z, so have a PROB30 at KAPA for rain. This could also bring the potential for lowered visibility and cloud decks to ~4000 ft AGL at KAPA. There is a ~20% chance that KDEN has a shower during this period, but confidence is low in this scenario. Model guidance has backed off on any stratus development potential tonight, but there is still a ~10% chance that stratus could develop. Otherwise, winds will settle into drainage overnight and then turn to the northeast/east by the afternoon. More rain showers are possible Thursday afternoon, so have PROB30s at all three sites starting around 22z- when showers could move off the higher terrain- and lasting through at least 2z. Instability will remain low. Showers could linger a bit past 3z at KAPA and KBJC. Winds should then turn to drainage for a few hours after the showers end. The main focus then turns to the potential for fog/low stratus on Friday morning. Models and BUFKIT soundings are in relatively good agreement that the lowest 1-2 km of the atmosphere will be rather saturated. Winds look to turn to the north or northeast early on Friday morning introducing upslope flow to the area. The period of highest concern as it looks now is from about 9z to 13z on Friday morning. For now, have included VCFG and ceilings to 5000 ft AGL at KDEN for this period. If confidence increases, there is the possibility for MVFR or IFR conditions due to visibility of 3 SM or less and/or ceilings less than 3000 ft AGL. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP AVIATION...MV