AFOS product AFDBOU
Dates interpreted at 00:00 UTC

Displaying AFOS PIL: AFDBOU
Product Timestamp: 2026-09-24 05:34 UTC

Download date range (UTC midnight)
Bulk Download
738 
FXUS65 KBOU 240534
AFDBOU

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO
1134 PM MDT Wed Sep 23 2026

.KEY MESSAGES...

- Additional rain chances Thursday and Friday (30-70%) and cooler
  temperatures for Thursday afternoon.
 
- Drier and warmer this weekend before an upper level trough
  brings cooler temperatures and potentially our next chances for
  showers/storms early next week. 

- Medium chance (30% to 50%) for mountain snow above 10,000ft 
  late Monday into Tuesday. 

&&

.DISCUSSION /Through Wednesday/...
Issued at 1105 PM MDT Wed Sep 23 2026

As of 11:30pm, showers are moving northeast through our far 
eastern counties. Scattered showers will continue in the eastern
plains through much of the overnight period. Rain should
generally remain light, with no hazards expected.

A surface low is forecast to develop to our southeast on Thursday, 
turning surface winds more northerly in the morning and easterly by 
the afternoon. PWs will decrease slightly as the turning of winds no 
longer allows Gulf moisture to stream into the area at lower levels. 
However, the more easterly winds will allow for upslope for much of 
the afternoon and evening on Thursday. Showers and an isolated storm 
or two are expected to form over the higher terrain, starting in 
the southern Front Range foothills and Palmer Divide in the mid 
afternoon. Rain chances will then move into northern mountains 
and foothills later in the evening and early overnight period as 
winds turn more southeasterly. PWs will remain around 140% to 190%
of normal and storm motions will be pretty slow (10 to 15kts), so
some localized heavy rainfall and flash flooding will be possible
in the late afternoon and evening. 

On Friday, a shortwave will approach the area providing some upper 
level lift and scattered showers and storms. PWs will remain high 
(around 150% to 175% of normal), but storm motions are forecast to
be faster than Thursday, leading to slightly lower flash flooding
concerns. Models have rain chances increasing in the higher 
terrain for the early afternoon, with the rain chances pushing 
east throughout the afternoon and early evening. 

The shortwave will move off to the east early Saturday, with upper 
level ridging building on the backside of the shortwave for the 
weekend. At the surface, a boundary looks to move through early 
Saturday, turning winds more westerly. These winds will bring drier 
and warmer downsloping air into the urban corridor and plains, 
dropping PWs and increasing highs back above normal for the weekend. 
Rain chances will decrease significantly behind this boundary and 
highs will reach into the low to mid 80s for much of the plains. 

Things start to get more interesting for the start of next week as a 
trough approaches the area. There is still a lot of uncertainty with 
this system, as some models have the trough digging south, with a 
low developing near the Four Corners region. While other models 
keep the trough more north, before it digs further south to our 
east. The positioning and strength of the trough will have 
significant impacts on the strength and timing of a cold front, 
our precip chances, and temperatures for Monday through Wednesday.
Right now, models are showing a decent cold front moving through 
the area sometime late Monday through early Tuesday. The 
positioning of that trough will determine if we can pull those 
colder temperatures aloft south behind the front. This has lead 
to a pretty significant spread in temperatures between ensemble 
members, with highs on Tuesday ranging anywhere from the low 50s 
to near 70 (25th to 75th percentiles) for the plains. The 
temperatures will have impacts on the snow chances in the higher 
terrain as well. Areas above 10,000ft are currently sitting at a 
20% to 40% chance for at least an inch of snow from late Monday 
through late Tuesday. If we can get those colder temperatures and 
better lift in our area, we could see those chances increase as we
get closer.

&&

.AVIATION /00Z TAFS through 00Z Friday/...
Issued at 548 PM MDT Wed Sep 23 2026

A few changes to the TAF this evening. Patchy showers have been in
place across the Palmer Divide and eastern plains for the past few
hours, with KAPA picking up a trace of rain late this afternoon.
Will keep the current PROB30 in place across the TAF sites through
2Z, though there may still be some lingering showers in the area 
for a bit longer, but confidence remains below 30%, but out of the
three TAF sites, KAPA would likely have the better chance of this
scenario. Latest guidance has brought slightly higher confidence 
in less than a 30% chance for showers at KDEN/KBJC in the early 
morning hours, so have removed the PROB30 at both locations. 
Guidance seems to have better agreement in showers staying 
slightly more south and east than previously shown, which keeps 
higher potential in showers at KAPA, therefore have left the 
PROB30 in place there. There is some uncertainty on stratus 
development late tonight/early Thursday morning, but with some 
consistency developing across the hi-res guidance latest updates 
showing some potential, have decided to add a FEW002 for now to 
act as a placeholder until there is better confidence. 

Winds should settle into drainage for the overnight at KDEN/KAPA,
with KBJC likely remaining light and variable. A northerly
transition is expected through the morning before becoming
northeasterly for the afternoon. Similar environmental conditions
are expected for Thursday with shower development possible in the
late afternoon/early evening. A PROB30 has been included at all
TAF sites through the end of the TAF period. 

&&

.BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
None.

&&

$$

DISCUSSION...AP
AVIATION...9