AFOS product AFDBOU
Dates interpreted at 00:00 UTC

Displaying AFOS PIL: AFDBOU
Product Timestamp: 2026-09-11 08:31 UTC

Download date range (UTC midnight)
Bulk Download
949 
FXUS65 KBOU 110831
AFDBOU

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO
231 AM MDT Fri Sep 11 2026

.KEY MESSAGES...

- Very warm today with only isolated high based showers/virga 
  late this afternoon and evening.

- Slight increase in shower/storm coverage this weekend. Cooler
  Saturday, then warmer Sunday.

- Unsettled pattern next week, with multiple cold fronts expected
  to bring a few more noticeable cooldowns.

&&

.DISCUSSION /Through Thursday/...
Issued at 231 AM MDT Fri Sep 11 2026

Zonal flow aloft will strengthen today, bringing a stronger
downslope component and thus a bit more warming. We expect highs 
to reach 90F or more over most of the plains and I-25 Corridor. 
To offset that, there is some mid/upper level moisture evident on 
satellite and radar now reaching northern Utah. This will continue
to push east today, resulting in enough for scattered virga,
isolated high based showers, and even a lone weak storm. The main
threat of any light precipitation would be over the northern 
mountains this afternoon, spreading to the northern plains this 
evening, but even there coverage would be sparse. Any high based 
showers/virga would support gusty outflow winds to 40 mph given 
increasing environmental flow and DCAPE increasing to 800-1200 
J/kg. 

For tonight, a cold front pushes south across the High Plains and
through northeast Colorado late tonight into early Saturday
morning. This will lead to cooler temperatures (near normal) for
Saturday. While moisture levels increase slightly, considerable
uncertainty exists for afternoon and evening shower/storm coverage
due to thermal profiles. For the most part, we don't think we'll
reach convective temps over the plains but still can't rule out
a few late day showers and storms spilling eastward from the
higher terrain due to mid level instability and moisture. 

Sunday will likely feature a return to much above normal
temperatures. MOS guidance suggest highs pushing into the mid 90s
for metro Denver and the I-25 Urban Corridor. That may be a bit
aggressive as there is some guidance (not surprisingly) slowing 
the redevelopment of lee troughing and erosion of low level
moisture. The record for Denver on the 13th is 96F set in 2018, 
1990, and 1895, but at this point it appears we'll most likely 
stay a couple degrees shy of that. With regard to convection, 
isolated showers and storms will be high based and relatively 
weak. However, if a storm or two can break the cap over the 
northeast plains they could certainly tap into higher MLCAPE and 
become severe. 

As discussed yesterday, the cooldown for Monday appears to be
tempered as the next cold front/upper trough has been delayed 
slightly. However, there is still high confidence in more 
significant cooling for Tuesday behind a moderately strong early 
(meteorological) autumn cold front. While daily uncertainties 
exist about the degree of cooling, there is modest agreement we'll
settle into highs in the 70s (and 30-40% chance of 60s) for the 
plains and I-25 Corridor. A brief warmup is possible for 
Wednesday before yet another front arrives Thursday. Ensembles are
in decent agreement holding a plume of mid/upper level moisture 
and higher than normal climatological precipitable water over us.
Thus, we should have daily chances of showers and storms most of 
the days this upcoming week. 

&&

.AVIATION /06Z TAFS through 06Z Saturday/...
Issued at 1137 PM MDT Thu Sep 10 2026

Southerly enhanced drainage winds at KDEN will gradually relax
through 08Z, with normal speeds of 8-12 kts resuming. Light and 
variable winds should then develop toward 16Z. There is still some
uncertainty in prevailing wind direction by 20Z, with a battle 
between diurnal upslope and stronger westerlies trying to advance 
off the foothills. For now, we've kept a NE-E component at KDEN 
and KAPA, with a more W-NW wind likely at KBJC. We're also 
monitoring for a chance of virga with gusty outflow winds 22Z 
Friday to 02Z Saturday, as DCAPE will abound (growing to 800-1200 
J/kg) in what we think should be a relatively deep inverted-v 
profile. We may need to add a PROB30 VRB G30kts to TAFs with 
upcoming AMDs as probabilities continue to grow with enough mid 
level moisture arriving late in the day. 

&&

.BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
None.

&&

$$

DISCUSSION...20
AVIATION...20