Automated Data Plotter
This application dynamically generates many types of graphs. These graphs are derived from processing of various data sources done by the IEM. Please feel free to use these generated graphics in whatever way you wish. Reset App. The IEM Explorer application offers a simplified frontend to some of these autoplots.
Second, select specific chart options::
Plot Description:Caution: This plot takes a bit of time to generate. This plot displays a histogram of hourly observations. Only the routine hourly observations are considered, so specials or multiple observations per hour are not considered. The connecting lines between the dots are to help readability. In the case of wind chill, the year shown is for the winter season actual year with December contained within.
This form provides an option for the case of wind chill and heat index to only include cases that are additive. What this means is to only include observations where the wind chill temperature is colder than the air temperature or when the heat index temperature is warmer than the air temperature.
This application only considers one observation per hour. In the case of multiple observations within an hour, a simple average of the found values is used. In the future, the hope is to limit the considered data to the "synoptic" observation at the top of the hour, but we are not there yet.
Change made 29 Aug 2018: The algorithm used here was updated to use greater than or equal to the given threshold. In the case of wind chill, it is less than or equal to.
Based on a sampling of recent timings for this application, plot generation time has averaged 11 seconds. Hold on for the plot is generating now!
View Data (as csv) Download as Excel
IEM Daily Features using this plot
The IEM Daily Features found on this website often utilize plots found on this application. Here is a listing of features referencing this plot type.
- 01 Dec 2022: Dry Dew Point Hours
- 28 Feb 2022: Winter to Date
- 13 Jul 2021: Limited Extreme Dew Points
- 21 Jun 2021: Ahead on Warm Hours
- 26 Feb 2021: Cold Wind Chills
- 03 Dec 2020: Little Bitter Cold to Speak Of
- 27 Jul 2020: 2020 Heat Totals
- 27 Feb 2020: Limited Cold
- 16 May 2019: Few Humid Hours
- 06 Jul 2018: Plenty of Humidity
- 29 May 2018: Plenty of Heat
- 02 Jun 2017: Below Avg 60+ Dew Points
- 08 May 2017: Limited 75 Plus
- 17 Feb 2017: Limited Cold Wind Chills
- 12 Aug 2016: Muggy Year
- 13 Jul 2016: Above and Below Heat Hours
- 07 Aug 2015: Heat Index Hours