Automated Data Plotter
This application dynamically generates many types of graphs. These graphs are derived from processing of various data sources done by the IEM. Please feel free to use these generated graphics in whatever way you wish.
Second, select specific chart options::
Plot Description:This plot displays a single month's worth of data over all of the years in the period of record. In most cases, you can access the raw data for these plots here. For the variables comparing the daily temperatures against average, the average is taken from the NCEI current 1981-2010 climatology.
This page presents a number of statistical measures. In general, these can be summarized as:
- Average: simple arithmetic mean
- Maximum: the largest single day value
- Standard Deviation: measure indicating the spread within the population of daily values for each grouped period. Lower values indicate less variability within the month or period.
- Average Day to Day: this is computed by sequentially ordering the daily observations with time, computing the absolute value between the current day and previous day and then averaging those values. This is another measure of variability during the month.
IEM Daily Features using this plot
The IEM Daily Features found on this website often utilize plots found on this application. Here is a listing of features referencing this plot type.
- 01 Aug 2018: Dry July for Des Moines
- 05 Feb 2018: Highly Variable January
- 29 Jan 2018: January 50s
- 27 Sep 2017: September 90+ Days
- 06 Feb 2017: Smallest January Range
- 02 Dec 2016: Warmest Fall
- 26 Oct 2016: Just 56
- 04 Oct 2016: 80+ in October
- 23 Jun 2016: 10th 90 degree day this June
- 03 Jun 2016: 3rd Warmest Spring
- 04 Mar 2016: Winter Frozen Days
- 29 Jan 2016: January Days Above Average
- 29 Jul 2015: July maxes
- 16 Apr 2015: April Lows Below Freezing
- 15 Apr 2015: Another Wet April?
- 31 Mar 2015: Dry March
- 28 Jan 2015: January Maxes
- 22 Jan 2015: 50s in January
- 15 Aug 2014: July Days below 60
- 05 Aug 2014: Warmest July Temps
- 30 May 2013: Wettest Spring